domenica 6 settembre 2009

Social (and Sexual) Politics.

Don't play the game.
Everyone loses and/or looks like a fool.

Many times people believe they are pulling the ropes of social encounters and predicaments in their favor, acting in such a way and doing such things to control a situation in their favor.

Those poor little fucks.

Today my sister spent a good half hour (this is excluding the last time the topic of attending this get together was discussed) debating on whether or not to attend a dinner at one of her best friend's house. Why? Because SHE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED would be there--this old fart of a lady who acts and tries to look like a 25 year old who gossips and sticks her nose in other people's business...A LOT. She also happens to be her husband's aunt and she also happens to have recently pushed a lot of my sister's WRONG buttons (i.e. starting drama using her personal life).

Anyways...I listened to a half hour of this incessant debating, this list of maneuvers in social politics.

"I refuse to go. She's going to open up stories and topics with me. I don't need any more drama."

"Shit. Now all the other girls are going. It's going to look obvious if I'm the only one who doesn't come. She's gonna know why I'm not there. I have to go. I don't need her talking and starting drama about why I'm not there."

(this one's my favorite): "I should go. By going, I'm showing her I don't know or don't care what she says. I'll be calling her bluff--confronting her on her bullshit by showing that I can see her, be respectful and not give in to her need for drama."

AHHHHHHHHH FUCK PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE NONSENSE.

If someone is a shit talker, they're a shit talker and will be so regardless of your political maneuvers. Drama and gossiping can only dent the structure of your life if you let it--if you're the type of person that takes bullshit seriously. Which, by the way, is an oximoron. Bullshit is bullshit and is not to be taken seriously. HINT: if it's coming out of the bull's ass (AKA a shit talker's mouth), that means it's bullshit. Hate to state the obvious folks.

Do what you want. If you want to go...here's a thought...GO! If you don't, then don't. Because no matter what you do, a bull will remain a bull and yes, it will continue to unload mounds of shit. If she wants to talk, she'll find something to talk about regardless of your actions. You can't control it. Trying to play this game is only giving into what she wants.

I use this case in point because it's easier to explain things that way, but it applies in so many situations.

A classic is in a more specified region of social politics: SEXUAL POLITICS.

Everything from when the guy should call to what do you wear to the social gathering where your recently entitled EX is going to be as well. It's like...god dammit people, why can't you just do as you please and stop thinking you can control, evaluate or sway a situation by passive aggressive actions, gestures, or comments. If you have a thought or inclination, just say or do. None of this shake your hand with one of mine but hold a knife behind my back in the other. Better yet, none of this behavior that "you don't care" when you clearly do.

It's really quite fucking annoying.
Two easy steps: 1. Be Nice 2. Be Honest.

Yes. It's that simple.

2 commenti:

  1. y'know, i've been saying the same two things for a couple of years now, and you know what i've realized?

    it really is that hard for people.

    sadly, but so it goes.

    i shall continue the fight though! good post =)

    RispondiElimina
  2. I encourage you to do just that!

    And I know making that two step claim would invite arguments about how much more ocmplicated it is. I was tempted to add on to the end, "And no, you are not allowed to argue against its simplicity." ;)

    RispondiElimina