domenica 25 gennaio 2009

I'm a good kid.

I really REALLY hate it when people think I'm a heathen because of the way I dress or the way I do my hair.

I'm sorry I'm not your perfect cookie cutter Muslim girl.
I'm sorry I don't think my body and my hair is something I should hide.
I'm sorry you expect me to limit my self-expression because I'M supposed to control the way a man looks at me.
I'm sorry creativity and uniqueness equal sin to you.

But to be honest with you, I'm not regretfully sorry. I'm only sorry for you--the person who does not know how to not judge or assume I don't speak Arabic or act surprised when I say Salam Alaikum or assume I'm an unholy non-believer that parades around with my crazy hair and loose friends.

I'm proud to be Muslim and I'm proud to be a woman. And standing by both of those can exist without diminishing the other.

I'm proof of it.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento