venerdì 26 giugno 2009

When I drive.

I dance. And I sing.

I dance and I sing big time.

I drum along like madness on the steering wheel (don't worry, it's very safe. I'm an excellent multitasker).

Sometimes, I indulge in a little air guitar if the song I'm listening to has a favorite or seriously awesome riff.

Many people stare in judgment while others who witness while being one of my passengers tell me I do it for attention. To be perfectly honest with you, I am highly unaware of any other drivers on the road with the exception of the fact that they are driving cars that I should avoid hitting. To put it simply, I'm not the attention whore kind of gal. In fact, I get pretty uncomfortable when I notice the car in the next lane is keeping pace with me so the men in the car can smile (amongst other more disgusting things) and generally be all around McPervies.

Now of course if a guy was rockin' out, most would think...Wow, a bunch of guys havin' a good time and going crazy. But I will avoid a feminist tangent for now.

So, I ask, why is it so weird that I get so into my music? Why is it weird or assumed to be a lame attempt to get attention from male commuters?

I can't sing for shit. The closest I ever came to playing an instrument was being second chair on the flute in junior high (and I no longer remember a single thing. I used to read music with perfection! Such a shame).

TANGENT: I would absolutely love to play an instrument. I want to be able to play the piano, guitar, and ESPECIALLY drums. But for some damn reason, my mind does not process the idea of teaching myself and my wallet does not process the cost of an instructor. I've sat with my beautiful Fender acoustic that my best friend so generously got me for hours every day and it just didn't click. I'm thinking the position of teaching me how to play would ideally be filled by my future man. Romantic and free.

But despite all that, my extreme and unconditional love for music seems to surpass that of most everything in my life.

So the next time you see a young lady groovin' to her tunes, try not to think the worst. I say, join her in her joy. Look, smile and rock out together to make traffic or a red light that much more bearable.

I'm never annoyed when someone drives by with "bumpin'" music as most people are--even when it's music I don't necessarily care for. Some may be asking for attention but despite that, at the end of it all, they love music too.

So I say, more power to them. And to my uninhibited singing and dancing.

2 commenti:

  1. i have done that! (all of it)

    but women seem to have a hair-trigger on that creep-alert, because every time i "join her in her joy" she gives me that look that girls have since birth which says, "you perverted jerk!"

    so sad... all i wanted was mutual car-dancing.

    anyways, learn to play a musical instrument. it's not that hard unless you're as old as the moon made of cheese. i mean, ANYONE can play drums, haha. just teach yourself.

    good luck

    RispondiElimina
  2. I agree with everything said in this post, because I'm exactly the same way.

    And ugh, isn't it painful to think about 6th grade and how we could actually read music?! Now that I'm older, I totally regret not sticking with an instrument.

    RispondiElimina